Commercial Endorsement

Commercially Endorsement Certification.

Invigilated Assessments:

Assessment Invigilation and Commercial Endorsements

We are regularly asked by students for information about theory course assessment invigilation and Commercial Endorsements, so we put together a question and answer page to help you demystify the requirements.
Whilst the information displayed below is correct at the time of publication, please do check directly with the RYA for updates.

What is a Commercial Endorsement, do I need one and how do I arrange it?

A commercial endorsement will be required if you intend to work onboard British flagged vessels which are subject to the MCA’s codes of practice for small commercial vessels.
A number of additional training courses and medical fitness certificates are required to be eligible for a commercial endorsement.
For full information to check which certificates may be commercially endorsed, details concerning additional courses to be completed and fitness certificates, Please use the following link to the RYA website where the information appears in full:

What is assessment invigilation and who can conduct it?

In some cases, it is necessary to arrange for an RYA Instructor to be present throughout the assessment to verify that you haven’t received any outside assistance. This should occur at an approved RYA Training centre, of which we are one.

When is invigilation required, do I really need it?

In most cases, invigilation of the final theory assessment is not necessary and is completely optional. We have summarised this for you below:

Invigilation is not required:

If you are going to be using the qualification for leisure purposes (flotilla, charter, own boat cruising etc).

  • If you wish to qualify as a RYA Cruising Instructor or an RYA Yachtmaster Instructor.
  • For Skippering vessels below 200GT
  • If you are wishing to add a Commercial Endorsement to a RYA Yachtmaster Coastal or an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence.
  • If you wish to qualify as either a RYA Cruising Instructor or and RYA Yachtmaster Instructor.

Invigilation will be required:

If you wish to enter MCA large yacht qualifications such as Officer of the Watch or Master 3000 all of your theory assessments must be invigilated.

If you wish to claim exemption to the written element of the Yachtmaster Ocean oral exam. (Alternatively you can take the course in the normal way, then at the time of your Yachtmaster Ocean oral exam, not claim exemption to the written element and take the written element at the time of the oral exam).

If you intend to Skipper vessels of over 200GT

If you intend to use your RYA Day Skipper Certificate or Competence for commercial purposes such as sea angling or commercial dive-boat operations within the UK you will require a professional endorsement to a Day Skipper Certificate of Competence. This will enable you to skipper a small commercial vessel. If your Day Skipper shorebased exam is invigilated by an RYA Instructor you will be able to operate up to 12 mile limit from the vessel’s home port. If your theory exam has not been invigilated, operation will be authorised for a 3 mile limit from the vessel’s home port.

If you will be taking the Ocean Yachtmaster oral examination, the invigilation of the shorebased assessment is optional. However, if you choose not to have your assessment invigilated, the Examiner may ask you to complete a further theory paper during your oral examination.

How can invigilation be arranged?

  • Either at our premises here at Wickford, Essex in the United Kingdom or by the student contacting a conveniently located RYA Training centre. This doesn’t need to be in the UK.
  • The chosen RYA recognised Training Centre will wish to charge a fee for providing Invigilator services

Here are links to the theory courses that apply;

Day Skipper

Yachtmaster Offshore

Yachtmaster Ocean

As part of your qualifying process you may also be required to hold the following certificates:

VHF/SRC Radio certificate

Professional Practices and Responsibility (PPR) certificate