£90.00 – £150.00
If you want to cruise outside the UK you are likely to need certification, often in the form of the International Certificate of Competence (ICC).
The SAILTRAIN International Certificate of Competence Online theory course is designed to give you the necessary theory skills required to pass your practical ICC assessment.
- This course includes animated diagrams on how to berth in varying wind conditions for both motor and sail.
- Man overboard recovery under motor and sail.
- Turning in a confined space under motor and sail.
- Animated practical tips.
We help you every step of the way
Auto-help feature gives you instant help if your answers are incorrect.
Hint buttons make it easy to remember the steps required to answer questions and reach a successful conclusion.
Assessment methods within the courses ensure student training is Evaluated, Validated and Recorded.
Not videos or slide shows but brilliant animated lessons that make it fun and even addictive.
The course only costs £90 for the Economy version and includes: The online Course, 2 online practice Charts and an online Almanac. You will need a printer to print your practice Charts and Almanac.
Alernatively for an additional £60 you can obtain a Full version that includes:
- Two printed A3 practice charts
- A printed training Almanac
- A Bretton type plastic plotter
- A set of dividers
- Free delivery to the UK
ICC theory course Syllabus.
- Seamanship: – includes parts of the boat, types of warp, knots, chain, anchoring, tying up, preparation for sea and port or starboard tack.
- Introduction to chart work: – chart Familiarisation, points of the compass, latitude and longitude, position of an object, using a Portland type plotter, finding position on a chart.
- Tidal heights and streams: – what causes tides, terminology, tidal height calculations, using tide tables, using the tidal curve, secondary ports, computation of rates, tidal streams using tidal diamonds and the tidal stream atlas.
- Position fixing: -, compass variation, compass deviation, position fixing using various methods, dead reckoning and estimated position.
- Course to steer: – How to plot a course to steer taking into account tidal flow and leeway, how to maintain an accurate ground track.
- GPS: – Abbreviations and terminology, how to use a GPS, raster and vector charts and updating charts.
- Buoyage and pilotage: – Available information, identification of buoys and their lights and shapes, using forward and back bearings, using tidal graphs.
- Safety: – Safety briefs, mayday and rescue, life jackets, abandon ship, actions in fog and radar reflectors.
- Lessons on how to berth in varying conditions
This ICC theory course has a six-month initial access period. In the unlikely event that you will need an extension, there is an option to extend as many times as you like until you pass your assessment. The cost of administrating each 6-month extension, beyond the initial 6 months, is £30.
For details of the ICC Practical assessment please click herePack Shipping details
Packs will be delivered for free to destinations within the United Kingdom.
We cannot deliver to a PO Box address. A physical address will be required in all circumstances.
A valid contact telephone number for the student will also need to be provided at the time of making the booking.
Packs to Russia must go to a Business address.
Sailtrain will not accept responsibility for Packs sent to Marinas, or C/O addresses. If the pack goes missing after it has been signed for, replacement packs will only be provided at the students expense.
Details of any special delivery requirements should be provided in the notes section of your Booking form.
The shipment of packs to the following countries will incur the below indicated additional charge:
|Antigua and Barbuda||£42.00|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||£30.00|
|Democratic Republic of Congo||£42.00|
|Falkland Islands (Malvinas)||£42.00|
|Holy See (Vatican City State)||£20.00|
|Korea, Republic of||£42.00|
|Micronesia, Federated States of||£42.00|
|Moldova, Republic of||£40.00|
|Papua new guinea||£42.00|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||£42.00|
|Saint Pierre and Miquelon||£42.00|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||£42.00|
|Sao Tome and Principe||£40.00|
|St Martin and St Maarten||£42.00|
|Svalbard and Jan Mayen||£42.00|
|Tanzania, United Republic of||£42.00|
|Trinidad and Tobago||£42.00|
|Turks and Caicos Islands||£42.00|
|United Arab Emirates||£40.00|
|United States of America||£30.00|
|Virgin Islands, British||£42.00|
|Wallis and Futuna||£42.00|
Economy version, Full version