The all new (January 2017) RYA Yachtmaster online theory course is an advanced course that builds on the knowledge gained on the shorebased Day Skipper course. The course is aimed at sailors and motor boaters who are looking to undertake more complex passages, perhaps offshore or at night. This course is a must for those looking to work towards taking the RYA Coastal Skipper or Yachtmaster Offshore practical exams.
The RYA Online Yachtmaster course normally costs £325.00 but if you book now there is a special offer discount of £50 which means you only pay £275
The Yachtmaster online course is an intensive programme covering advanced navigation techniques. It includes position fixing, course shaping and plotting, tidal knowledge, secondary port calculations, navigation in restricted visibility, Admiralty publications and electronic position finding equipment.
The meteorology tuition within the course includes the taking and interpretation of forecasts, plotting of weather systems and weather prediction. Students are shown how to use this information when planning and executing passage plans. The International Regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea are dealt with in detail and you will also learn more about yacht stability and safety offshore.
Students will need to have a valid RYA Day Skipper theory certificate or equivalent and have thoroughly revised the Collision Regulations before taking the course.
Yachtmaster qualification with an RYA approved course
The animated lessons are not matched in any other Yachtmaster online course. They are designed to make learning interesting and questions easy.
Assessment methods within the courses ensure student training is Evaluated, Validated and Recorded.
The majority of Yachtmaster Online courses are mainly narrated videos and slideshows and to be honest, you may as well buy a book.
Our Yachtmaster online courses are fully animated lessons with an optional voice over so you get the best of everything.
Click here for a Free Trial
You will receive RYA Certification on satisfactory completion of the course.
The RYA Yachtmaster online course is provided by Navathome, a RYA Recognised Training Centre specialising in online training, and includes: a course pack consisting of training charts, exercises pack, Yachtmaster shorebased booklet, and your certificate, which is normally priced at £40.00. Plus, a Training Almanac normally priced at £7.49 (Day Skipper/Yachtmaster).
By clicking a payment button you are agreeing to Navathome’s terms and conditions available here.
To Purchase your course just click your preferred payment method below.
The RYA Online Yachtmaster course normally costs £325 but if you book now there is a special offer discount of £50 which means you only pay £275
To pay by Online Banking click here
Yachtmaster Online course topics include:
- position fixing
- course shaping and plotting
- tidal knowledge
- use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- electronic position finding equipment
- taking and interpreting forecasts
- plotting weather systems
- weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- collision regulations
- customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
There is a six-month initial access period to the online theory course. In the unlikely event that you will need an extension, there is an option to extend as many times as you like until you pass your assessment. The cost of administrating each 6-month extension, beyond the initial 6 months, is £30.Full RYA Yachtmaster course Syllabus
This is an advanced course in navigation and meteorology for candidates for the Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate.
This course will take your theory knowledge to the standard required for the Yachtmaster™ Coastal and Yachtmaster™ Offshore practical exams, concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills.
As with the Day Skipper shorebased course, the RYA’s specially designed chart plotter software will be used during the course to give you a realistic taste of modern electronic navigation.
Those who have not acquired the knowledge set out in the Day Skipper course are unlikely to be able to assimilate all the subjects covered in this advanced course.
- Dead reckoning and estimated position
- Satellite-derived position
- Use of waypoints to fix position
- Radar fixes
- Techniques of visual fixing
- Fixes using a mixture of position lines
- Relative accuracy of different methods of position fixing
- Area of uncertainty
2. The magnetic compass
- Allowance for variation
- Change of variation with time and position
- Causes of deviation
- Swing for deviation (but not correction)
- Allowance for deviation
- Different types of compass
- Causes of tide – Springs and Neaps
- Tide tables – sources
- Tidal levels and datum
- Standard and secondary ports
- Tide anomalies (Solent, etc.)
4. Tidal Streams
- Sources of tidal information
- Tidal stream information in sailing directions and Yachtsmen’s Almanacs
- Allowance for tidal streams in computing a course to steer
- Tide rips, overfalls and races
- Tidal observation buoys, beacons etc.
- IALA system buoyage in Region A
- Limitations of buoys as navigational aids
- Ranges – visual, luminous and nominal
- Rising and dipping distances
- Light lists
- Harbour regulations and control signals
- Methods of pre-planning
- Clearing lines
- Use of soundings
- Transits and leading lines
8. GPS and chart plotters
- Principles of operation and limitations of use
- Raster and vector charts
- Importance of confirmation of position by an independent source and keeping a separate record of position
- Importance of paper charts
9. Echo sounders
- Principles of operation and limitations of use
10. Logs (speed and distance measuring)
- Principles of operation limitations of use
11. Deck log
- Importance of log as yacht’s official document
- Layout of log, hourly and occasional entries
- Basic terms, the Beaufort scale b. Air masses c. Cloud types d. Weather patterns associated with pressure and frontal systems e. Sources of weather forecasts f. Ability to interpret a shipping forecast, weatherfax and weather satellite information g. Land and sea breezes h. Sea fog i. Use of barometer as a forecasting aid
13. Rules of the Road
- A sound knowledge of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, except Annexes 1 and 3
14. Safety at Sea
- Personal safety, use of lifejackets, safety harnesses and lifelines
- Fire prevention and fire fighting
- Distress signals
- Coastguard and Boat Safety Scheme
- Preparation for heavy weather
- Liferafts and helicopter rescue
- Understanding of capabilities of vessel and basic knowledge of stability
15. Navigation in restricted visibility
- Precautions to be taken in fog
- Limitations to safe navigation imposed by fog
- Navigation in poor visibility
16. Passage planning
- Preparation of charts and notebook for route planning and making, and use at sea
- Customs regulations as they apply to yachts
- Routine for navigating in coastal waters
- Strategy for course laying
- Use of waypoints and routes
- Use of weather forecast information for passage planning strategy
- Sources of local and national regulations
Packs will be delivered for free to destinations within most of the United Kingdom.
We cannot deliver to a PO Box address. A physical address will be required in all circumstances.
A valid contact telephone number for the student will also need to be provided at the time of making the booking.
Packs to Russia must go to a Business address.
Sailtrain will not accept responsibility for Packs sent to Marinas, or C/O addresses. If the pack goes missing after it has been signed for, replacement packs will only be provided at the students expense.
Details of any special delivery requirements should be provided in the notes section of your Booking form.
The shipment of packs to the following countries not shown above will incur the below indicated additional charge:
|Antigua and Barbuda||£40.00|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||£40.00|
|Democratic Republic of Congo||£40.00|
|Falkland Islands (Malvinas)||£40.00|
|Holy See (Vatican City State)||£20.00|
|Korea, Republic of||£40.00|
|Micronesia, Federated States of||£40.00|
|Moldova, Republic of||£40.00|
|Papua new guinea||£40.00|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||£40.00|
|Saint Pierre and Miquelon||£40.00|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||£40.00|
|Sao Tome and Principe||£40.00|
|St Martin and St Maarten||£40.00|
|Svalbard and Jan Mayen||£40.00|
|Tanzania, United Republic of||£40.00|
|Trinidad and Tobago||£40.00|
|Turks and Caicos Islands||£40.00|
|United Arab Emirates||£40.00|
|United States of America||£30.00|
|Virgin Islands, British||£40.00|
|Wallis and Futuna||£40.00|